Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization leading the most influential
investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the
economy. Through our powerful networks and advocacy, we tackle the world’s
biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity
and pollution, and human rights abuses.
For more information about Ceres, please visit our website (www.ceres.org).
Description & Responsibilities
The Accounting Manager is a key member of the Finance team in its efforts to
support the organization’s program activities. This is an opportunity for a
trustworthy and energetic individual eager to be in the middle of the
financial workings of Ceres and grow professionally. The Accounting Manager
will be responsible for the bi-weekly payroll, billing and processing member
dues and sponsorships, monthly reconciliations and grant budgeting and
reporting. The Accounting Manager will supervise the Senior Staff Accountant.
This position is full-time and based in our Boston, MA office.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Invoice annual membership dues for the BICEP, Investor and Company Networks using Salesforce. Enter into Intacct. Follow up as needed to collect unpaid membership dues.
- Fill out grant applications for member dues payments.
- Invoice sponsorships for the conference, summit and fundraising events using Salesforce. Enter into Intacct.
- Process bi-weekly payroll for Ceres staff using Paycor system.
- Assure Paycor payroll system data is accurate and properly maintained.
- Upload payroll Journal entry into intact and create monthly payroll accrual entries.
- Assist with processing employee expense activity in Abacus.
- Reconcile Abacus corporate card activity to general ledger on a monthly basis.
- Maintain grant projections schedule.
- Supervise Senior Staff Accountant.
- Backup for Accounts Payable, Employee Expense and Cash Receipts duties of Senior Staff Accountant.
- Process payments for invoices entered in system by Senior Staff Accountant.
- Complete monthly reconciliations of bank and investment accounts.
- Maintain schedule of deferred revenue.
- Maintain the staff allocation schedule
- Complete budgeting and grant reporting for a sub-set of Ceres grants
- Complete monthly individual giving reconciliation with development department.
- Serve as a resource to Ceres staff, contractors, and sub-grantees to distribute and explain materials related to finance policies and procedures.
- Assist in creating spreadsheets for annual budget process.
- Assist the Controller in gathering information and preparing schedules for the annual audit.
- Engage in special projects as time permits.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of five years of relevant accounting work experience, required
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principle and internal controls
- Proficiency with accounting software systems. Experience with Intacct a plus
- Payroll experience a plus
- Abacus Expense or other expense management systems experience a plus
- Proficient with Microsoft Office (strong Excel user) and Google Docs
- Experience with Salesforce, a plus
- Experience with direct staff supervision required
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a team
- Ability to evaluate workload and prioritize projects
- Well organized and detail oriented
- Interest in being part of a diverse workforce and willingness to support Ceres’ Commitment to Inclusion and Equity
- Discretion in working with confidential information
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks in order to meet deadlines
- Interest and willingness to be trained on data systems and tools for necessary work.
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves
with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. Applicants
should submit a resume, cover letter, two writing samples, and a list of three
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against any
individual based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital
status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or
veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.
Boston, MA, USA