Manager, Food and Forests Program
Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization leading the most influential
investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the
economy. Through our powerful networks and advocacy, we tackle the world’s
biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity
and pollution, and human rights abuses.
For more information about Ceres, please visit our website
Description and Responsibilities
The manager will conduct company analysis, as well as organize and support
investor-led engagements on corporate deforestation-related risks. Through
this process, the manager will also contribute to global thought leadership
through original research and writing and broader industry collaborations
through primary content development and communications.
We are looking for a candidate with a strong environmental background to serve
as a focal point on deforestation issues, working with investors to accelerate
adoption and implementation of no-deforestation commitments.
This full-time position is based in Boston, MA, and reports to the Director of
Investor Engagement on the Food and Forests Program.
Specific duties include the following three core areas, but are not limited to
- Partner with Director on investor and company engagements/dialogues to address deforestation related risks in investment portfolios and greenhouse gas (GHG) reduction targets
- Partner with the Director on development of programmatic strategy for Ceres’ commodity-based deforestation work through the creation of investor education materials, outlining strategic approaches to impact, and aligning scientific information for effective two-way communication between investors and companies
- Execute programmatic strategy, manage projects, and evaluate effectiveness of strategy
- Travel to meetings and events, including international travel, as required
- Use Salesforce tracking systems and Ceres’ Investor Portal to ensure contacts, meetings, content/content promotions and team deliverables are up-to-date and available.
- Manage all contact, meetings, content/content promotions, and team deliverables using Salesforce and Ceres’ Investor Portal ensuring up-to-date and accessible information.
- Manage and execute outreach to Ceres members by Ceres staff, including sign-on letters, meeting requests, and events, using using Ceres’ Partner Engagement Management System (PEMS),
- Research, monitor, and analyze corporate no-deforestation public commitments
- Conduct quantitative analysis of companies and potential investment portfolio impacts of food and forest climate and GHG emission impacts
- Track, analyze, and monitor material deforestation information and food-related news flow for internal and external use
- Maintain and regularly update Food and Forests research and data sets
- Gain an understanding of active ownership, shareholder activism, and corporate governance.
- Support special projects of the Food and Forests team as necessary
- Serve as team lead for planning and coordination of the Ceres conference/sessions, webinars, investor presentations and special events
- Represent Ceres at conferences, seminars, press conferences and meetings as spokesperson for project or program work
- Minimum of five years of relevant research and advocacy work experience.
- Desire to gain knowledge of financial markets and work with institutional investors to impact climate change, ESG investing, and sustainability of Food and Forest systems.
- Strong verbal and communication skills, including synthesizing research and conceptual work into actionable and presentable deliverables
- Strong strategic thinking and tactical skills, and ability to mobilize constituencies toward identified goals
- Experience managing and strengthening relationships and coordinating with multiple partners and coalitions, and/or consultants
- Demonstrated capacity to handle and prioritize multiple tasks, set priorities, meet deadlines, take precise notes, and work well in a fast-paced environment while managing multiple projects with multiple stakeholders
- Strong analytical, organization, writing, and project management skills to include excellent proficiency in Microsoft Excel, and PowerPoint
- Experience using data analytics and statistical programming such as Bloomberg, Tableau, Salesforce or others is highly desirable
- Attention to detail, intellectual curiosity, passion for learning and a willingness to become proficient in ESG data, frameworks and reporting
- Self-starter with an ability to work well both independently and collaboratively
- Sound judgment, sensitivity to diverse constituencies, excellent interpersonal skills
- Interest in being part of a diverse workforce and willingness to support Ceres’ Commitment to Inclusion and Equity
- Desire to work in a not-for-profit, advocacy-focused organization.
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves
with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. Applicants
should submit a resume and cover letter. Please apply through the Ceres
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against any
individual based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital
status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or
veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.
Boston, MA, USA