DIRECTOR, WATER RISK
Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization leading the most influential
investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the
economy. Through our powerful networks and advocacy, we tackle the world’s
biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity
and pollution, and human rights abuses.
For more information about Ceres, please visit our website
Description & Responsibilities
Ceres’ Water Program promotes capital market solutions to the global water
crisis by accelerating private sector leadership on sustainable water
management, through cutting-edge research, investor mobilization and advocacy.
Ultimately our work is about changing the way the world’s largest economic
actors value and manage water. The Director of Water Risk will play a pivotal
role in Ceres’ efforts to leverage the power of institutional investors to
drive corporate action to address the most severe and systemic risks to
freshwater resources around the globe. This position is a full-time and
reports to the Program Director of the Water team.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Provide strategic oversight and manage Ceres’ Valuing Water Initiative, a new global effort to mobilize investor leaders to drive corporate action on water.
- Develop and execute annual programmatic goals and Ceres’ organizational strategy for advancing work with institutional investors and banks around water risk, as well as support strategic planning for the overall Ceres water team.
Provide strategic oversight of the Investor Water Hub, a working group of Ceres Investor Network.
Manage relationships with institutional investors, banks, partner NGOs and other stakeholders.
- Provide thought leadership for and manage production, release and distribution of new research that increases investor understanding and action to address water related risks and opportunities.
- Supervise at least two staff members including hiring and training new staff, conducting quarterly and annual reviews, providing guidance and support with professional development.
- Manage and advance relationships with current and potential water program funders.
- Actively participate in crafting fundraising proposals with Development and meeting with funders to support program work.
- Draft and refine media messaging, including op-eds, press releases and blogs.
- Serve as resource on water issues for Ceres’ Corporate and Investor teams.
- Represent Ceres at conferences, seminars, press conferences and senior-level meetings as spokesperson for project or program work.
- Assist with planning for the Ceres annual conference program and other events.
- Support the implementation and development of Water Program management systems.
- In partnership with Program Director, manage day-to-day project activities including creation and monitoring of annual budget.
- At least 10 years of relevant experience in roles of progressive responsibility.
- 3 years of management and strategy development experience.
- Substantial expertise on environmental sustainability issues, with a preference for expertise in freshwater sustainability/sustainable water management.
- An understanding of investment firms, banks, and institutional investors, a plus.
- 3+ years of experience supervising staff, including ability to provide training and support staff development.
- Experience developing and managing progress against goals and budgets.
- Strong team player and comfort working in a team-based atmosphere.
- Experienced cultivating effective supervisory relationships across gender identity, race, ethnicity, and socioeconomic background with direct reports.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver specific projects and initiatives independently and leading a team.
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects from concept to completion on own momentum and with limited guidance.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team, in a fast-paced environment.
- Sound judgment, sensitivity to diverse constituencies, excellent interpersonal skills, strong initiative and motivation.
- Effective presentation style and excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Interest in being part of a diverse workforce and willingness to support Ceres’ Commitment to Inclusion and Equity.
- Proficient with word-processing, spreadsheet, presentation, database, and e-mail computer applications.
- Willingness to travel, including internationally, as needed to accomplish duties noted above.
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves
with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. Applicants
should submit a resume and cover letter. Please apply through the Ceres
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against any
individual based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital
status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or
veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.
Boston, MA, USA