Manager, Investor Engagement
Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization leading the most influential
investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the
economy. Through our powerful networks and advocacy, we tackle the world’s
biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity
and pollution, and human rights abuses.
For more information about Ceres, please visit our web site
Description & Responsibilities
The Manager, Investor Engagement, plays a key role in Ceres’ work with
institutional investors. This position focuses on supporting and engaging
members of the Investor Network on Climate Risk and Sustainability,
coordinated by Ceres, which is a network of more than 150 institutional
investors with $24 trillion in assets under management. In addition, the
Manager’s investor engagement activities will support the organization’s
strategies to work with the investment community on company commitments to no-
deforestation and associated greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions within
agricultural supply chains. This is a cross-functional position and has a
“dotted line” relationship to the Director of Investor Engagement in the Food
and Forest program. This is a full-time staff position, based in Boston, MA,
that will report to a Director on the Investor Network.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to the following:
Supporting the Investor Network
- Manage and deepen Ceres’ relationships with asset owners and asset managers, serving a dedicated portfolio of investors
- Recruit strategic new asset owner and asset manager members to the Investor Network from both the U.S. and Canada and encourage their action on Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) issues
- Support Ceres’ Investor Network relationship management system and system for tracking member engagement and activities focused on the above issues/risks
- Promote “sustainable investment” policies and practices that incorporate ESG factors into the investment decision-making process
- Partner with the Investor Network Director in working with the Communications team, and developing media messaging and communications materials, such as op-eds, press releases and blogs.
- Research, write, and edit communications with Investor Network members, including contributions to website, newsletter, reports and other publications
- Partner with the Investor Network Director in funder meetings and outreach to potential new funders, with the Ceres Development Team
- Participate in planning and organizing Ceres annual conference and program events for both the Investor Network and the Food Program
- Where appropriate, supervise interns or other staff on projects.
- Travel as necessary for relationship management purposes.
Supporting the Food and Forest Program
- Partner with the Director of Investor Engagement in the Food and Forest Program to achieve various investor-related corporate engagement goals and strategies.
- Manage implementation and deliverables for assigned grant reporting
- Identify opportunities and implement avenues to advance Ceres Food and Forest Program goals on no-deforestation through projects and activities with Investor Network members.
- Advise and support Ceres’ Food and Forest program in direct outreach, calls, meetings, and presentations with investors on deforestation risks
- Manage annual projects surveys, and other investor related research on deforestation risks, commodities, and GHG impacts to climate change
- Achieve visibility for Ceres deforestation-focused work by helping to organize and manage panels and speaking at investor-facing global events
- Minimum of five years of work experience, preferably direct experience working in ESG investing or on sustainability-related issues.
- An understanding of institutional investors and financial markets
- Strong meeting facilitation, communication and presentation skills, including synthesizing research and conceptual work into actionable and presentable deliverables
- Strong strategic thinking and tactical skills, and ability to mobilize constituencies toward identified goals
- Experience managing and strengthening relationships and coordinating with investors, multiple partners and/or companies
- Demonstrated capacity to handle and prioritize multiple tasks, set priorities, meet deadlines, take precise notes, and work well in a fast-paced environment while managing multiple projects with multiple stakeholders
- Strong organization, writing, and project management skills to include excellent proficiency in Microsoft Excel, and PowerPoint
- Experience using Bloomberg and Salesforce is a plus
- Attention to detail, intellectual curiosity, passion for learning and a willingness to become proficient in ESG data, frameworks and reporting
- Self-starter with an ability to work well both independently and collaboratively
- Sound judgment, sensitivity to diverse constituencies, excellent interpersonal skills
- Interest in being part of a diverse workforce and willingness to support Ceres’ Commitment to Inclusion and Equity
- Desire to work in a not-for-profit, advocacy-focused organization
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves
with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. Applicants
should submit a resume, cover letter, and two writing samples to
firstname.lastname@example.org. Please apply through the Ceres
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against any
individual based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital
status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or
veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.
Boston, MA, USA