The City of Salem is seeking candidates for the position of Environmental
Compliance Specialist. The Environmental Compliance Specialist performs work
related to enforcement of federal, state, or local codes and ordinances.
Employees in this classification perform a wide variety of technical office
and field work involved in ensuring compliance with environmental regulations,
protecting the public health and safety, and controlling and eliminating
environmental hazards. Environmental Compliance Specialist perform field
investigations by collecting and preparing test samples, recording data,
preparing summaries and charts or reports, and issuing compliance documents or
citations. Work also includes performing plans reviews of development plans to
ensure that all waste is compliant with industry regulations as they expand or
relocate into the Salem area. Response activities require the employee to be
on a on call rotation to maintain coverage 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- Preparing pretreatment permits, renewals and annual reports for wastewater industries.
- Spill response for non-hazardous and biological materials from accidents, spills, or dumping into the storm and sanitary sewers, waterways, public property or the right of ways.
- Conducting the RCRA Hazardous Waste program, inspecting and billing for spillers.
- Participating in various aspects of surface water quality program, to remain compliant with NPDES permits.
- Writing reports/managing assigned files and/or preparing correspondence to regulated community.
- Utilizing & understanding GIS systems or similar data management software.
- Independent decision making, while ensuring to meet deadlines.
What are the minimum qualifications?
- Must pass the pre-employment background check.
- Must have an Oregon class C driver's license and have a driving record that meets the City of Salem's driving standards.
- Must be able to meet and maintain status as a Reserve Officer.
- Bachelor's degree in a natural science or a related field and three years of experience in environmental regulation or research support, performing duties related to compliance or industry inspection, or any combination of experience and training that demonstrates you possess the knowledge, skill and abilities as listed, and you can perform the essential job functions.
- Hazwoper certification preferred.
Where can I find out more about the position?
Go to the menu option for Class Specifications and search for Environmental
Compliance Specialist or view by clicking
Portland, OR, USA