Scope: The Western Region Major Gifts team is seeking an administrative
assistant to support our team. This position is well suited for someone who is
looking to get their foot in the door in the field of Development and, or
Major Gifts. You are curious to learn the ins and outs of raising revenue to
advance a critical mission and eager to support a team who is doing so. Ideal
candidates will share a passion for creating and upholding social and
The Sierra Club is facing enormous environmental threats that will impact our
safety and way of life. Not only that the Trump administration has eroded
valuable progress in the fight to stem global climate change. These are
challenging times ahead and if we don’t act now we’ll face irreparable damage
to our environment. The Sierra Club is poised to help stem this damage,
leading the charge with campaigns to eliminate coal, give power to grassroots
climate justice, and continue the mission of our historic organization.
The Western Region Advancement Assistant performs a variety of administrative
functions such as researching potential donors; scheduling visits and meetings
with prospects, donors and volunteers; assisting with event logistics for
major donors; maintaining comprehensive records of major donor activity and
prospect contacts utilizing the donor and revenue tracking system (CORE).
Serves as a team member of Operations Team supporting overall efforts to
streamline operational support for all Advancement fundraising efforts. The
Advancement Assistant will also be providing support as needed to our Grant
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs initial selection and preliminary research on major donor prospects. Performs further research on select prospects as requested. Analyzes incoming materials pertaining to the cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of major donor prospects. Perform other related research assistance as needed.
- Inputs appropriate donor data into CORE. Reviews and corrects all coding data and budget entries related to donors.
- Inputs financial projections, and creates and runs revenue reports using CORE. Ensures all data in CORE is up-to-date and accurate.
- Coordinates and tracks various prospect pools and lists, ensures data is up to date for Advancement Directors, and also point person for organizing Western prospect pools.
- Drafts letters, memos and other written materials for major gift cultivation and solicitation, donor programs and gift planning solicitation. Produces, distributes and files memos, and generates correspondence and reports for regional donors and prospects.
- Schedules, confirms and arranges meetings and travel. Schedules visits and meetings with donors, volunteers, and prospects.
- Assists Western fundraising team in the stewardship and cultivation of prospects by planning donor events. Activities include developing invitation lists; handling RSVPs; creating and producing printed materials; working with outside vendors, caterers and suppliers; securing hotel accommodations and speakers for meetings; monitoring all event deadlines.
- Manages calendar, meeting requests and various administrative functions for Western Region.
- As needed, assists with projects from grant writers and grant team director (notably, act as first point of coverage while team members are out of office). Coordinates with gift officers, TCSF, conservation, and finance to craft content that will be compelling to funders and in line with the Sierra Club mission. Serve as a resource to the Grant Team with regards to writing and editing materials.
- As needed (and in coordination with the grant team director), manages project reports due to the Sierra Club Foundation, including gathering content from Conservation staff and budget information from finance. Works with TCSF to address any issues and ensure all reports are approved in a timely manner.
- Performs miscellaneous duties as directed.
Occasional overtime will be required to meet special deadlines, projects,
other staff absences or emergencies. Under these circumstances, overtime will
rarely exceed 8 hours weekly.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Enthusiastic and natural team player with the ability to work with cross-functional, virtual, and diverse teams to develop plans and drive results.
- 1 year office or related experience with Windows, Word Excel, and database proficiency. Experience with Salesforce, Google Docs, video and audio conference call systems, and PowerPoint highly desired.
- Strong organizational skills; ability to establish priorities; enthusiasm for working with colleagues and volunteers.
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills. Proactive in identifying and resolving issues before they become problems.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills to interact with staff, volunteers, and potential donors; to assist with meeting facilitation; and to navigate complex internal relationships. Excellent word processing and proofreading skills. Prior experience with grant writing and/or copy writing is preferable.
- Able to travel up to 2 times per year.
- Ability to prioritize and meet deadlines, to use tact and diplomacy in dealing with confidential and sensitive matters, to exhibit professional demeanor when dealing directly with donors and volunteers, and to work well with diverse groups of people.
This position is represented by a collective bargaining unit and is subject to
the terms and conditions of the contract between Sierra Club and Sierra
The Sierra Club offers competitive salary package commensurate with skills and
experience plus excellent benefits that include medical, dental, and vision
coverage, and a retirement savings 401(k) plan.
This is a category 7 non-exempt position.
Sierra Club is a 501(c)(4) non-profit organization. Sierra Club employees are
not eligible to participate in the Federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness
Sierra Club values the expertise and talents of foreign nationals. Sierra Club
sponsors both nonimmigrant and immigrant visas when certain criteria are met,
based on immigration laws and organizational needs. Such sponsorship is at the
discretion of the Department Head and Sierra Club Human Resources in
consultation with the employee’s manager. The Sierra Club cannot guarantee the
approval of a visa petition.
The Sierra Club is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet.
Oakland, CA, USA