Supports the work of the Office of Sustainability by performing research on
policies and programs and assisting in the implementation of projects.
Individuals in this position should have interest and/or experience in a range
of environmental topics including, but not limited to, community
sustainability, climate change, energy conservation, solid waste and
recycling/composting, water conservation, green building, sustainable
transportation and environmental stewardship.
The City is in the process of forming a new Environmental Board and will start
working on a climate implementation framework. This position will provide
input and support for each of these initiatives. In addition, individuals may
be asked to perform community outreach and education either virtually or in
person as conditions allow.
Work will be performed remotely through at least the end of 2020 with the
potential for remote work for the duration of the internship either for public
health or logistical reasons (i.e. individual does not live near Issaquah).
The work may require attending evening meetings (remotely) or participating in
activities outside normal work hours (public events, etc.). This position is
expected to work approximately 20 hours a week for 9 months, from late
September 2020 until June 2021.
- Conducts program and project research. Researches policy and operational issues, identifies best practices, compiles and prepares reports and makes recommendations.
- Collect, analyze, and track data and program metrics. Produce reports and program results.
- Coordinates and implements outreach and education materials and campaigns. Conducts outreach virtually and/or at community events and other public venues if conditions allow.
- Supports program logistics and performs administrative duties to support Environmental Board.
- Provides information and education/technical assistance to other City departments, businesses, community members or agencies upon request from supervisor.
- Sample projects and support include: Sustainability data reporting, Sustainable Purchasing Policy Research, GHG Inventory and Climate Action Planning.
- Must have a passion for sustainability and educational coursework or experience in one or more sustainability topics.
- Currently enrolled or recent graduate of a college undergraduate or post-baccalaureate degree program in natural resources, environmental studies, planning and urban studies, communications, sustainable business, public administration, or a related field.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Excellent communication and public presentation skills. Experience working in both one-on-one and group settings.
- Ability to work with diverse populations in a positive, professional and courteous manner.
- Ability to work independently and remotely as well as support a collaborative team environment with common goals.
- Knowledge of common office equipment and computer software applications. Ability to lift 30 pounds and work in outdoor environment involving tables, tents, chairs and stairs.
- Outstanding organizational skills, including ability to outline and schedule tasks, set deadlines, anticipate issues and needs, work in a timely fashion, communicate regularly and track progress.
- Direct knowledge or experience with community based social marketing strategies or projects preferred.
- Prior experience researching and writing reports and making recommendations on environmental or sustainability topics.
Issaquah, WA 98027, USA