Performs routine and complex inspections of waterways and new/existing developments per the Site and or Subdivision Plans within the City to ensure compliance with the Chesapeake Bay Preservation District, Wetlands Zoning Ordinance, Site Plan Ordinance, Subdivision Ordinance, and Zoning Ordinance. This position combines the traditional codes compliance inspector duties with those of an environmental inspector/enforcement officer.
Examples of Work
• Performs skilled field inspections to determine compliance with Site Plans and Subdivision Plans Ordinance (for CDD responsibilities) for the Chesapeake Bay Preservation District, Wetlands Zoning Ordinance, and Zoning Ordinance. Notifies supervisor of violations and moves forward with correct enforcement action.
• Serves as "Enforcement Officer" to the Hampton Wetlands Board performing all duties of the "Enforcement Officer" as assigned in Hampton City Code Chapter 41.1.
• Serves as lead enforcement staff for Chesapeake Bay Preservation District compliance investigations. Assist the area inspectors in a support role.
• Assists Chesapeake Bay Review Committee and Wetlands Board in field investigations.
• Attends and presents to the Chesapeake Bay Review Committee and Wetlands Board meetings.
• Coordinates with the Environmental and Sustainability Manager and the Environmental and Sustainability Planner in field investigations of sites relating to the Wetlands Zoning Ordinance.
• Coordinates with the Zoning Official to determine or confirm site specific Chesapeake Bay Preservation District boundaries.
• Coordinates with the Project Coordinators and Building Official to determine or confirm site specific requirements for project completion before issuance of Certificate of Occupancy.
• Receives and investigates potential code violations pertaining to zoning and signs. Prepares written notice of code violations stipulating time allowed to correct violations when appropriate. May coordinate with other City departments or agencies to correct violations when the individual owner is unable to do so.
• Performs inspections of assigned work area to enforce appropriate use associated with residential, commercial, and manufacturing zones. Inspects for proper land use, floor area, parking and loading space requirements. Ensures the proper placement of buildings on lots.
• Inspection for compliance with rezoning proffers, to include buffers, landscaping, architectural requirements, etc. as dictated by the proffer agreement.
• Issues summons for violations and prepares for court cases, including testifying in court. Prepares and maintains administrative records, reports and files. Explains City ordinances to citizens, property owners, tenants and others.
• Assists the Property Maintenance and Zoning Enforcement Division Manager in designing and delivering classroom and field training.
• Performs other related duties as required.
Graduation from High School or GED certification required. Bachelor's Degree in Environmental Science, Landscape Architecture or a closely related field preferred. Arborist certification is desirable.
Requires a minimum of three (3) years of experience in regulatory enforcement in a municipal, state, or federal agency or related area. Technical or vocational training and demonstrated proficiency in site plan interpretation, tidal wetlands, non-tidal wetlands, perennial streams, and riparian area identification and enforcement is required.
Working knowledge of local and state development and environmental codes and regulations including the requirements of the Chesapeake Bay Preservation Act and Tidal Wetlands Act is required.
International Code Council (ICC) or Virginia Association of Zoning Officials (VAZO) certification preferred or must be achieved within 18 months of employment in this position.
Experience in construction of shoreline structures, engineering, or surveying, or related field preferred. Work experience may be substituted with a minimum of five (5) years Landscape experience, technical training and or experience with reading and interpreting site plans and development, technical, or college coursework in closely related fields.
Must be detail oriented and organized. Ability to read plans and specifications, and recognize deviations from such plans in the field; ability to maintain adequate records; ability to communicate orally and in writing; ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with contractors, property owners, City officials, and the general public; ability to use desktop/laptop/tablet computer and familiarity with software; ability to perform electronic research to include but not limited to, GIS, Pictometry, work related websites, Real Estate and Assessment records.
Must possess a valid motor vehicle operator's license and must possess and maintain a satisfactory driver's record based on the City of Hampton's criteria. Must complete testing for controlled substances and a criminal background check.
An acceptable combination of experience and education may be considered in lieu of the specific requirements listed above.
Performs duties under the general supervision of the Property Maintenance and Zoning Enforcement Manager for code enforcement duties. Works with the Development Service Manager, Project Coordinators, Planning & Zoning Administration Manager and the Environmental and Sustainability Manager, who provide guidance for environmental enforcement responsibilities. Requires considerable field work in all weather conditions with the use of a City-owned vehicle for travel throughout the City. Requires ability to work independently, making good judgments and decisions. Extensive contact with contractors, property owners and the general public; requires exceptional customer service skills and patience in dealing with citizens on points of law and regulations that are not readily understood. May be required to provide assistance to the Emergency Operations Damage Assessment Team in times of disaster. Will require work outside of standard 40 hour work week and will require attendance at evening meetings. This is a non-exempt position.
Hampton, VA, USA