Sustainability Interns gain new skills in environmental sustainability while providing education and outreach in the Eagle Valley community. Interns will learn hands-on skills in fostering sustainable behaviors while also gaining valuable experience in how mountain communities, governments, and businesses are taking action and monitoring their environmental impacts.
The experiential learning focuses heavily on “Zero Waste,” recycling, and waste diversion. Interns staff zero waste events throughout the summer, ranging from small community concerts to large multi-day festivals. Interns are responsible for managing the waste stream at events and providing zero waste education and outreach for the community.
Concurrently, interns have the opportunity to pursue projects within the Walking Mountains Sustainability & Stewardship Program Department in the following programs:
• Actively Green Sustainable Business Certification
• Mountain IDEAL Sustainable Destination Certification
• Energy Smart
• Climate Action Collaborative
• Sustainable Film Series
This internship has an additional focus on professional development, provided through individual sustainability research projects, field trips, and project work with partner organizations. Interns also have the opportunity to learn about other programs within Walking Mountains Science Center.
• Desire to educate others on sustainability initiatives while expanding
personal knowledge of current sustainability trends
• Enthusiasm for working hands-on with environmental sustainability efforts including handling compost, waste, and recyclables
• Comfort with interacting publicly with a variety of people in various settings
• Minimum of two years completed education, preferably towards a degree related to sustainability, or equivalent relevant experience
• Positive, self-motivated, organized, creative, and professional individual who can work independently and as part of a team of approximately 7 people
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Work flexible hours (including evenings and weekends)
• Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions, and lift up to 50 pounds
Must be able to perform the job requirements satisfactorily, as they generally represent the knowledge, skill and ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the job requirements.
• Education and/or training in a specific sustainability subject
• Spanish language skills (verbal and/or written)
$300 weekly stipend + housing
Avon, CO, USA