The Montana/Dakotas BLM is seeking a dynamic and energetic individual to join
the team to serve as a Natural Resource Specialist positions in the North
Central Montana District Office, Division of Oil and Gas. This position is
located in Great Falls, Montana. Information about the Great Falls area can be
found at Great Falls Chamber of
We expect to fill one (1) vacancy at this time; however, additional positions
may be filled from this announcement if they become available.
Learn more about this
- Incumbent is responsible for application of natural resource management and environmental science principles to the execution of a comprehensive surface protection and compliance program dealing with fluid minerals development in the Field Office.
- If selected at the GS-07 or 09 level, the incumbent will perform the duties of the position, with a reduced level of responsibility and/or difficulty, while receiving on-the-job trainee assignments or other appropriate training.
- At the full performance level, incumbent is responsible for performing a variety of duties including, but not limited to, the following:
- Permitting various types of surface activities in fluids minerals exploration and development.
- Reviewing stipulations on existing leases for applicability to proposed activities.
- Evaluating the environmental impacts of proposed drilling operations, field development, and subsequent surface disturbing operations.
- Preparing appropriate documentation in compliance with the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA).
- These activities include reviewing notices of staking, applications for permit to drill, and sundry notices for compliance with various regulations, orders and instruction memorandum.
- Monitoring construction, production, and reclamation activities to ensure compliance with environmental plans and stipulations.
- Inspecting items such as drill pad construction, access roads, production facilities and pipelines, water disposal facilities, abandoned well site rehabilitation and undesirable events such as oil spills.
- Reviewing and processing lease nomination packages to determine if parcels are suited for leasing.
- Coordinating reviews with other BLM resource specialists and other agencies.
Occasional travel - Travel is required to attend trainings, conferences,
workshops, and field visits.
Great Falls, MT, USA