Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization leading the most influential
investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the
economy. Through powerful networks and advocacy, Ceres tackles the world’s
biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity
and pollution, and human rights abuses. For more information about Ceres,
please visit our website (www.ceres.org). There is
further information on the Accelerator www.ceres.org/our-
Description and Responsibilities
The Director, Net Zero Finance will lead Ceres’ Accelerator work on net zero
finance including work with regulators, banks and insurance companies. This
role will lead a team and work closely with other teams at Ceres to implement
net zero finance campaigns.
This full-time position is designed for a highly motivated, self-starter with
significant experience with financial regulators, investors, banks and/or
insurers. The position will report to the Managing Director, Ceres Accelerator
for Sustainable Capital Markets. We would prefer the successful candidate will
be based in Boston but would consider other locations.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Develop strategy and implementation plan for cross org Net Zero Finance.
- Manage Net Zero Finance research and development of reports, blogs, and comments letter, partnering with other teams and consultants.
- Lead the development of reports and research making the business case that climate change poses a risk to the US economy, and
- Work with others to develop and implement a blueprint for engaging with regulators on Net Zero Finance.
- Drive external meetings with investors, policy makers, and regulators to move investors, banks and insurance companies to set net zero targets
- Stay abreast of policy issues on the federal (and some state) level related to climate change and energy with a special focus on investor activities, banking, insurance and financial regulatory issues.
- Partner with internal Communications staff on plans for the use of earned media, paid media, advocacy days, national & regional meetings, direct engagement with policymakers, and other strategies to support the campaign.
- Identify relationships with external partners and key allies, such as non-profit organizations, trade associations, think tanks, communications firms, lobbyists and others to be developed, strengthened or maintained.
- Prepare materials and coordinate Ceres staff and Investor and Company Network members to engage with the press, legislative staffers, and federal lawmakers.
- Work with the Ceres Investor Network to recruit investors to engage in this effort through making commitments, establishing interim goals, establishing robust disclosure and other plans.
- Coordinate with other teams (including but not limited to Company Network, Development, Climate & Energy,) as needed to accomplish organizational objectives.
- Partner with the Managing Director, Ceres Accelerator, the Ceres Development Team and others to raise money for the net zero finance work, including participating in funder meetings, outreach to potential new funders and contributing to fundraising proposals.
- Supervise staff members including hiring and training new staff, conducting regular one-on-one meetings and semi-annual reviews, providing guidance and support with professional development.
- Support other Ceres Accelerator projects as requested.
- Contribute to the planning for the Ceres annual conference and program events, to further corporate governance programmatic work.
- Represent Ceres at conferences, seminars, press conferences and meetings as spokesperson for project or program work.
- Travel as necessary.
- Ten years or more of direct experience working on political, policy and/or finance campaigns.
- Demonstrated ability to lead both analysis and corporate engagement and to implement recommendations for actions.
- Prior experience in driving complex projects or campaigns.
- Prior experience in managing individuals and contractors.
- Effective presentation style as well as strong speaking and written communication skills.
- Sound judgment, sensitivity to diverse constituencies, excellent interpersonal skills, strong initiative, and motivation. Ability to collaborate with individuals from a range of backgrounds.
- Experience cultivating effective supervisory relationships (across gender identity, race, ethnicity, and socio-economic backgrounds) with direct reports.
- Demonstrated strong project management skills of research and multiple, complex projects.
- Planning expertise and delivering projects on deadline and within time and resource budgets.
- Record of success coordinating and facilitating multi-stakeholder dialogues.
- Ability to work as part of a team and to take a collaborative approach.
- Ability to bring a positive outlook to working at Ceres.
- Interest in being part of a diverse workforce and willingness to support Ceres’ interest to be a more inclusive environment.
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves
with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. If you
are interested in applying for this position, please submit a resume, cover
letter, two writing samples, and a list of three references, as well as
complete the additional information as instructed.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against any
individual based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital
status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or
veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.
Remote (Boston, MA, USA)