NEIWPCC is a regional commission that helps the states of the Northeast
preserve and advance water quality. We engage and convene water quality
professionals and other interested parties from New England and New York to
collaborate on water, wastewater, and environmental science challenges across
the regions, ecosystems, and areas of expertise.
The primary goal of the next generation of Source Water Protection in New York
State is to develop and implement source water protection measures for public
water systems throughout the State. Source water protection strategies are
most effective when implemented at the local community level. As such, NEIWPCC
professionals will team with staff from NYSDEC.
The candidate will work within the NYS Department of Environmental
Conservation - Division of Water (DOW), Bureau of Water Permits and serve as a
State Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (SPDES) Permit writer. Candidate
will work on municipal and/or industrial wastewater discharge SPDES permit
renewals/reviews within Source Water Protection areas to ensure SPDES permits
are up-to-date and include effluent limitations necessary to protect public
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Apply knowledge of the Clean Water Act and State Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (SPDES) permit program in developing individual SPDES permits.
- Develop new or renewal permits for consistency and conformance with regulations, polices, and procedures.
- Interact with permittees, their representatives, engineers, and various member of the public on permit issues.
- Establish and maintain effective interpersonal relationships and communicate constructively with Federal, State and local government agencies, engineering firms, various non-governmental groups, and the public.
- Review engineering reports, plans, and specifications for industrial and municipal wastewater treatment systems and facilities, and recommend these plans for approval.
- Conduct water quality evaluations and derive water quality based effluent limitations for SPDES permits.
- Position will require travel for roughly 20% of full-time.
- Other duties as assigned.
RECOMMENDED QUALIFICATIONS :
- A bachelor’s degree in engineering, environmental sciences, computer science, or related field preferred.
- 3+ years of full-time, or equivalent part-time, technical or professional work experience in one or more of the fields listed above (pro-rated substitutions for relevant class work are acceptable for the right candidate with interests in self-guided investigations and research).
- Ability to write concisely, to express thoughts clearly and to develop ideas in logical sequence as well as communicate well verbally
- Attention to detail, comfortable with data management and communicating key insights from data analysis to upper-level staff and the public
- Naturally prone to action with a focus toward continuous improvement
- Comfortable working in a very collaborative environment and oriented toward getting things done; able to bring perspectives and ideas to the table while remaining open to perspectives and ideas from others. Open to lively debates.
- Capable of fostering and deserving of trust
- Accept responsibility and is accountable for results
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Knowledge and experience with aspects of water quality and watershed management
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to work effectively with scientists, engineers, and managers, and to establish professional credibility
- Ability to work independently, and as part of a team
- Excellent computer skills, including, including word processing, spreadsheets, geographic information systems, and ability to perform basic statistical analysis
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions
- Ability to maintain accurate records
- Knowledge and understanding of federal environmental laws and regulations.
View the full Job Description here.
NEIWPCC offers a competitive compensation package, including excellent
comprehensive benefits for eligible employees. If interested, we welcome you
to send a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to us
firstname.lastname@example.org by October 5, 2021. Please
reference #21-NYS-SW-DEC-003 in the email subject line.
NEIWPCC is an equal opportunity employer, and will not discriminate against
any employee or applicant for employment because of their race, color, creed,
religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identification,
marital status, physical and mental disability, ancestry, genetic information,
age, political or union affiliation, pregnancy or related medical conditions,
military service or application for military service, veteran status, or any
other status or classification protected by applicable law. Physical or mental
disabilities will be considered only as they may relate to the candidate’s
ability to fulfill bona fide job requirements. This policy refers to all
personnel practices including employee recruiting, hiring, transfers,
promotions, training, disciplining, terminating and all other conditions.
Albany, NY, USA