The City of Austin, MN is seeking a highly motivated, energetic individual for
a full year intern/teacher/naturalist position at the Jay C. Hormel Nature
Center, a division of our park and recreation department. The ideal candidate
would be able to start on January 3.
The successful candidate will:
- Teach environmental, conservation, and outdoor education to all ages. The intern will work most often with children in grades preschool through 7th
- Teach in a variety of learning environments rain or shine, including our Nature Center and surrounding property, our Sola Fide Observatory, and on offsite trips.
- Write and deliver the curriculum for two summer classes. The intern will also assist with writing and updating school and summer programming.
- Help care for and maintain the center’s gardens and landscaped spaces.
- Handle, feed, and care for all critters, including the Nature Center’s bees and raptors.
- Rescue and triage injured birds of prey.
- Maintain the Center’s social media pages and website.
- Promote the nature center through different media outlets including radio programs, newspaper articles, and the nature center’s own newsletters.
- Participate in offsite classes like rock climbing and canoeing, as well as major events like the summer festival, Halloween warm-up, and Thanksgiving feast.
- Work consistently with the public and welcome visitors to the center.
The successful candidate must:
- Have a minimum two years (preferred four years) college study in natural resources, biology, or environmental education.
- Have good written and oral communication skills.
- Present themselves in a way that reflects positively on the Nature Center both during work hours and after hours in the Austin community.
- Be able to adapt to changes in time, subject matter, and weather while teaching school and public programming.
- Be able to manage multiple projects while maintaining daily tasks.
- Be able to work independently and as a team.
- Have good interpersonal skills.
- Be able and willing to work flexible hours and have valid driver’s license.
Workweek is typically 40 hours per week and will include Saturdays or Sundays.
Intern will earn public employment retirement contribution (PERA) and is
eligible for health insurance benefits. The hourly wage is $13.50/hr.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory results of a background
Interested candidates should submit a letter of application, résumé and three
references to Director Luke Reese at
or to the Jay C. Hormel Nature Center, Box 673, Austin, MN 55912. Access the
Hormel Nature Center website through the City of Austin website at
www.ci.austin.mn.us or directly at
Application deadline Monday, December 6, 2021.
Austin, MN, USA