Job Title: Program Officer, Innovations
Location: Flexible: Washington, DC or remote (working with significant
overlap with US business hours)
Start Date: Immediately
Reports to: Senior Director of Technology Solutions
Verra is a global leader helping to tackle the world’s
most intractable environmental and social challenges. As a mission-driven non-
profit organization, Verra is committed to reducing greenhouse gas emissions,
improving livelihoods, and protecting natural resources across the private and
public sectors. We support climate action and sustainable development with
standards, tools, and programs that credibly, transparently, and robustly
assess environmental and social impacts and enable funding for sustaining and
scaling up projects that verifiably deliver these benefits. We work in any
arena where we see a need for clear standards, a role for market-based
mechanisms, and an opportunity to generate significant environmental and
Verra manages a portfolio of standards, including the:
Verra is seeking a Program Officer to support the development of cutting-edge
and high-impact digitalized carbon methodologies and digital project
monitoring, reporting and verification (MRV) tools.
A day with Verra’s Program Team might include:
- Collaborating with carbon methodology developers, software engineers and other Verra staff in a constructive and solutions-oriented way to support the digitalization of existing or new methodologies and Digital MRV tools.
- Creating Excel based quantification tools based on carbon crediting methodologies to support digitalization.
- Verifying and validating digital methodologies and supporting users of the digital methodologies by creating appropriate guidance documentation.
Specific functions you will be responsible for leading:
- Conducting reviews of submitted methodology concept notes and proposed methodologies and ensuring that digital versions of methodologies can be achieved.
- Serving as an expert resource within the Innovations Team on technical matters relating to digital methodologies.
- Ensuring digital methodologies are accurate by writing specifications for digitalization and testing digital methodologies and their integration with Digital MRVs and the Registry.
- Acting as a Business Analyst for the digitalization of methodologies and promoting the use of technological solutions in new methodological and monitoring approaches.
You bring with you:
- A technical degree, preferably master’s, in a relevant field such as forestry, environmental science technology, or similar.
- At least 3years of relevant professional experience, preferably working for a standards organization, NGO, government, consultancy, project developer, and/or an auditor.
- Experience working with carbon measurement in the quantitative domain.
- Highly computer literate and experience working on digital tools such as Excel, SPSS, GIS.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to think creatively and in a solution-oriented manner.
- Good project management and organizational skills, including prioritizing and working efficiently and effectively under deadlines.
- Culturally aware with the ability to work with stakeholders and partners from different countries and cultures.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Fluency in English is essential. Fluency in other languages would be an additional asset.
In this role, you will grow and expand your expertise by:
- Working at the cutting edge of programs designed to drive finance towards high-impact activities that tackle some of the most pressing environmental issues of our day.
- Working on challenges and opportunities faced by practitioners of activities to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and improve livelihoods.
- Building your understanding of how technology can be used to streamline carbon credit project development.
- Working with a dynamic, committed, and focused team of professionals.
You will know you are successful, if:
- You are seen as a leader and a go-to resource by your peers and as a reliable and capable member of the team by your manager.
- You build your understanding of challenges and opportunities faced by users of the Verra programs and are able to effectively help address barriers and capitalize on opportunities to foster greater environmental and social impact.
- Verra stakeholders consistently express positive feedback regarding your ability to collaborate to find workable solutions to challenges they face.
You will join a team:
- From diverse locations and backgrounds, including carbon market experts, project developers, consultants, policymakers, researchers, auditors, and more.
- Committed to driving project developments using digital tools that advance climate action and sustainable development through high-quality standards and programs.
- That embodies Verra’s values, which include Teamwork, Results, Integrity, Balance, and Exploration.
Compensation at Verra
To help us attract and retain top talent, Verra pays employees competitively
to the market. In return, we expect each employee to, at a minimum:
- Meet expectations in terms of work effort and performance;
- Take the initiative to build the skills and knowledge needed to do their job effectively; and
- Embody Verra’s values.
For this position, the salary range is USD $62,710 - $76,619, depending on
We will recognize employees who go beyond expected performance with salary
increases and/or promotions, but the bar for earning those rewards is high.
Salary is one component of Verra’s total compensation package, which also
- Health, vision and dental care, and life insurance;
- Verra contributions to each employee’s retirement plan;
- Verra contributions as required by national labor laws in countries where staff are located;
- Paid Time Off (PTO) comprising 22-30 days plus ten floating holidays, sabbatical after five years of service, and other leave allowances; and
- Funds to support professional development.
How to Apply
To apply, please send us the following:
- Cover letter (not to exceed one page)
- Resume/CV (not to exceed two pages)
Please add app.bamboohr.com to your contact list to ensure you receive emails from us
Verra provides equal opportunity for all job applicants and employees and is
committed to providing a work environment free of discrimination. We conduct
our recruitment and hiring without regard to race, color, religion, gender
identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status,
pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetics, veteran status, or any
other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, and local law.
USD $62,710 - $76,619