Job Title: Software Engineer (Application Development)
Location: Remote - Worldwide (working with significant overlap with US
Start Date: Flexible
Reports to: Senior Director, Technology Solutions
Verra is a global leader helping to tackle the world’s
most intractable environmental and social challenges. As a mission-driven non-
profit organization, Verra is committed to helping reduce greenhouse gas
emissions, improve livelihoods and protect natural resources across the
private and public sectors. We support climate action and sustainable
development with standards, tools and programs that credibly, transparently
and robustly assess environmental and social impacts and enable funding for
sustaining and scaling up projects that verifiably deliver these benefits. We
work in any arena where we see a need for clear standards, a role for market-
based mechanisms, and an opportunity to generate significant environmental and
social value. Verra manages a portfolio of leading standards, including the
Verified Carbon Standard (VCS), which accounts for two thirds of all voluntary
carbon market transactions globally.
Verra is creating the new role of Chief Policy and Markets Officer for an
exceptional individual to lead policy engagement and strategic responses to
emerging and evolving market opportunities for Verra’s programs, including the
Verified Carbon Standard (VCS) Program, the Jurisdictional and Nested REDD+
framework (JNR), the Climate, Community & Biodiversity (CCB) Standards and the
Sustainable Development Verified Impact Standard (SD VISta).
A day with Verra's collaborative Information Technology Team might
- Engaging program managers, program officers, and technical specialists to create software solutions to provide efficient customer support and scale-up GHG reductions and removals
- Implementing new feature enhancements to existing software systems
- Creating and managing REST APIs services and applying standard methodologies in Identity and Access management for securing web applications and Web APIs.
- Working in cloud computing technologies (i.e., Azure)
Specific functions you will be responsible for leading…
- Develop a new portal to provide advanced search and discovery features and integrations with various applications to enhance the knowledge management experience for internal users as well as stakeholders
- Customize new or existing technologies to support Knowledge Management and web applications following an SDLC
- Create test cases and properly document test results
- Support the IT team with SuiteCRM, a customer relationship management software platform, and integration with existing or new technologies
- Develop integration interfaces across Java, .net, PHP, and other platforms
- Communicate between internal staff and external consultants for system specification, design analysis, and integration
You bring with you...
- At least a bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or Software Engineering
- Experience building integrated web applications involving database, REST API, user interface using Python, Java, C#, Angular, .Net, Entity Framework
- Experience with SuiteCRM customization and workflow automation
- You have experience working with the Agile team for software development and version control (i.e., git)
- Solid attention to detail and interest in knowledge management
- A phenomenal attitude, flexibility, and team-player mentality
In this role, you will grow and expand your expertise by...
- Learning about innovative ways of advancing climate action and sustainable development through carbon markets and standards
- Building a basic knowledge of the information technology functions in a non-profit organization
- Working at a fast-paced, environmentally-focused non-profit organization
- Engaging with knowledge management systems including Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software, shared google docs, and other office tools
You will know you are successful if...
- Verra employees are using the search and discovery feature to enhance the knowledge management experience.
- You have managed to create several software requirement documents and implemented applications and tools, and made application integrations for data exchange across the platforms
- You have implemented enhancement requests as per the expectations of program managers and stakeholders and addressed user-specific concerns
You will join a team...
- From diverse locations and computing backgrounds
- Committed to driving programs that advance climate action and sustainable development through high-quality standards and programs
- That embodies the values Verra has established for itself, and which include Collaboration, Results, Integrity, Balance, and Exploration
- That is rapidly growing!
Compensation at Verra
To help us attract and retain top talent, Verra pays employees competitively
to the market. In return, we expect each employee to, at a minimum:
- Meet expectations in terms of work effort and performance
- Take the initiative to build the skills and knowledge needed to do their job effectively
- Embody Verra's values
We will recognize employees who go beyond expected performance with salary
increases and/or promotions, but the bar for earning those rewards is high.
The starting salary range is USD $56,000 – $76,000. Salary is one component of
Verra’s total compensation package, which also includes:
- Health, vision and dental care, and life insurance;
- Verra contributions to each employee’s retirement plan;
- Verra contributions as required by national labor laws in countries where staff are located;
- Paid Time Off (PTO), comprising 22-30 days plus ten floating holidays, sabbatical after five years of service, and other leave allowances; and
- Funds to support professional development.
How to Apply
To apply, please send us the following:
- Cover letter (not to exceed one page)
- Resume/CV (not to exceed two pages)
Verra provides equal opportunity for all job applicants and employees and is
committed to providing a work environment free of discrimination. We conduct
our recruitment and hiring without regard to race, color, religion, gender
identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status,
pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetics, veteran status, or any
other characteristic protected by applicable national, state, and local laws.
USD $56,000 - $76,000