The Director, Sustainability will be the leader of Sabert’s efforts on
sustainability, both internally and with our customers and communities. This
role will champion this aspect of Sabert’s Mission by being an advocate with
manufacturing, sales & marketing, product development and the customer base to
lead efforts to reduce the overall carbon footprint and be the voice for
sustainability within and outside of Sabert.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Refine and champion the vision for Sabert’s sustainability platform.
- Lead the execution of the long-term sustainability vision, consistent with the mission, Values and Sabert’s operating principles.
- Collaborate with the internal functions to develop a coordinated sustainability roadmap to deliver the Company’s commitments.
- Lead a Sustainability Advisory Board with both internal and external participation that will educate and advocate for key initiatives within Sabert and with the customer base.
- Establish and measure the carbon footprint for each site and for the whole organization.
- Lead and facilitate the development and implementation of programs within each site to reduce their respective carbon footprint.
- Support the development of sustainability programs for key customers to align with their corporate objectives.
- Establish and implement methods to demonstrate the relationship and value of sustainability performance to business results.
- Lead cross-functional initiatives that have material impact on our sustainability efforts.
- Build on the internal database of sustainability knowledge; track and monitor industry trends to identify best practices for continuous improvement.
Metrics and Reporting
- Manage and track all sustainability KPIs for the company across all North American locations and the overall business; provide regular updates on performance to management.
- Partner with external organizations to improve access to third party data and tools to establish more precise benchmarks and reporting abilities for the company as well as for the industry at large.
- Develop strategy for taking Sabert’s sustainability message to external audiences, including customers, communities, the media and the industry.
- Develop and manage sustainability program marketing communication and outreach, including annual reporting.
- Represent Sabert’s interests with federal, state and local government regulatory agencies as well as groups which establish standards for industry (i.e. Cedar Grove)
- Be the spokesperson for Sabert’s sustainability efforts with customers, media and industry groups.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong knowledge of environmental science; local and national regulations; technical practices in monitoring and measuring environmental footprints
- Knowledge of Carbon Reporting Protocol
- Able to work effectively in a fast-paced environment; strong organizational and administrative skills, including time management, multi-tasking and project management.
- A team player; demonstrated ability to establish rapport, trust, and effective working relationships with all levels of management and staff.
- Strong communication skills; demonstrated ability to develop and edit written materials as well as be effective in verbal communications and presentations
- Demonstrates initiative and shows ability to lead
- Strong customer service orientation
- Able to travel up to 30%
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in environmental sciences, engineering or a related field
- 10+ years of progressively responsible experience in sustainability or related fields
- Prior experience in a multi-site manufacturing environment
- Experience with GRI, BPI, USCC, Cedar Grove and/or B Corp would be a plus
Sayreville, NJ, USA