COMPANY OVERVIEW : HGS Engineering, Inc., is a professional services
consulting firm providing comprehensive environmental, engineering,
health/safety, emergency management, and information technology support to the
federal government and private clients. HGS offers a comprehensive benefit
package that includes health care, vacation and sick leave, educational
incentives, long term health insurance and a 401(k) retirement plan.
ROLE : EHS Specialist
COMPENSATION : $75,000 - $80,000 per year EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE :
- Bachelor's Degree with 7 years' experience in the environmental field (required)
- Master's Degree with 5 years' experience in the environmental field (preferred)
- Working knowledge of environmental regulations (e.g. RCRA, CWA, CAA, EPCRA, NEPA, etc.) is desired. Applicant must also be prepared to produce materials and plan events for public outreach (e.g. Earth Day, Energy Action Month, America Recycles Day, etc.).Applicants with additional knowledge or experience of laboratory safety and industrial hygiene programs and regulations are preferred.
- Ideal applicant must be familiar with Environmental Management System (EMS) implementation and team facilitation.
- Must possesses a demonstrated ability to work across organizations and lead cross-functional teams/working groups.
- Experience with ISO 14001 conformance programs is a must. ISO 14001 Lead Auditor training preferred.
- Candidate must be knowledgeable of current Executive Order requirements/goals.
DESIRED SKILLS :
- Must be a highly persuasive and effective communicator and have excellent organizational skills
- Ability to write clearly and effectively is essential
JOB DESCRIPTION : The EHS Specialist serves on an active contract with the
Drug Enforcement Administration. See below for project details. The Drug
Enforcement Administration (DEA) is committed to minimizing its operational
impact on the environment by complying with all applicable environmental laws
and Presidential Executive Orders. DEA currently has an EMS program that
covers offices and operations across the organization. The long-term focus of
this project is to implement sustainable practices and policies and to improve
DEA’s environmental performance by maintaining the current program, while
improving and updating the system to include safety and health considerations
into DEA’s laboratory system. The overall objectives of this project are to:
- update, implement, and maintain an organizational level Environmental Management System (EMS) program;
- update, implement, and maintain EMS’s at facilities as identified by DEA throughout the continental United States;
- develop, implement, and maintain a DEA-wide environmental compliance program that addresses Federal, state, and local environmental regulations; and
- provide EMS training and auditing services as needed.
The project responsibilities of the EHS Specialist include:
- guiding the design and implementation of environmental health and safety plans, goals, policies, and procedures;
- updating and improving the current Environmental Management System (EMS) to include health and safety considerations;
- performing EMS audits of internal EMS teams and producing audit reports that meet the requirements of the EMS program; and
- performing other related duties as assigned.
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS : ~25%
OTHER QUALIFICATIONS :
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Must pass pre-employment drug screening - Client has strict drug use policy; applicant with previous drug and/or criminal history will not be considered.
- Must pass employer and government background checks
- Be capable of being on your feet for hours at a time (during field work)
HGS Engineering, Inc., is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating
an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants for employment. HGS
prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race,
color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics,
protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression,
or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This
policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including
recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall,
transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
75,000 - 80,000
Alexandria, VA, USA