Job Title: Senior Program Officer, Plastic Program
Location: Remote - Worldwide (with significant overlap with US business
Start Date: Immediately
Reports to: Director, Sustainable Development Programs Management
Verra is a global leader helping to tackle the world’s
most intractable environmental and social challenges. As a mission-driven non-
profit organization, Verra is committed to helping reduce greenhouse gas
emissions, improve livelihoods and protect natural resources across the
private and public sectors. We support climate action and sustainable
development with standards, tools, and programs that credibly, transparently,
and robustly assess environmental and social impacts and enable funding for
sustaining and scaling up projects that verifiably deliver these benefits. We
work in any arena where we see a need for clear standards, a role for market-
based mechanisms, and an opportunity to generate significant environmental and
Verra manages a portfolio of standards, including the:
Verra's Program Management Team is looking for a Senior Program Officer to
serve as a technical expert for the Plastic Waste Reduction Program!
A day with Verra’s collaborative Program Management Team might include...
- Participating in meetings with the Program Management Team and other relevant members of the organization to determine solutions to unique technical issues that arise for users of the Plastic Program (e.g., providing guidance for a project facing data challenges while demonstrating additionality).
- Supporting users of the Plastic Program (i.e., project developers, auditors, and other market participants) by clarifying technical program rules and procedures and suggesting solutions to resolve challenges faced.
- Conducting project reviews, including assisting team members in reviewing complex projects seeking registration with the Plastic Program.
- Researching key technical topics to inform complex project reviews and the development of new tools and products to strengthen the Plastic Program (e.g., new methodologies).
- Collaborating with other Verra teams (e.g., Program Development & Innovations; Legal, Policy & Markets) to advance our organizational mission.
Specific functions you will be responsible for...
- Serving as a subject-matter expert on the plastics value chain, including topics such as polymer production, packaging, and mechanical and/or chemical recycling within the Program Management Team.
- Providing technical advice and support to Plastic Program team colleagues to ensure thorough and accurate guidance is provided to users of the Plastic Program. Such users include project developers, methodology developers, validation/verification bodies, and other stakeholders.
- Recommending and drafting revisions to Plastic Program rules and requirements to help maintain the program's robustness, workability, and impact.
- Playing a key role in ensuring the quality of projects requesting registration with the Plastic Program, including reviewing project documentation, visiting projects, and liaising and collaborating closely with project stakeholders, particularly on technical matters.
- Managing the review and continuous improvement of existing plastic waste collection and recycling methodologies and contributing to the development of GHG accounting and assessment methodologies for plastic waste management activities under the VCS Program.
- Collaborating with the Program Development & Innovations Team to ensure plastic-related methodologies, standards, and program innovations are technically sound.
- Participating in and representing Verra at domestic and international conferences and other events as required.
You bring with you...
- A degree, preferably a Master’s, in environmental science, materials science, engineering, chemistry, environmental management, industrial ecology, or similar.
- At least three years of relevant experience in plastic waste management, including plastic waste collection, mechanical and chemical recycling, plastic packaging and product design, life-cycle assessment, and/or corporate plastic accounting and reporting.
- Experience working in plastic waste collection and recycling systems, ideally in a global context; preference will be given to candidates with experience developing and/or implementing plastic waste management projects or programs.
- Experience working with social or environmental standards in any capacity would be highly advantageous.
- Good project management and organizational skills, including prioritizing and working efficiently and effectively under deadlines.
- An innovative, critical thinking mentality for solving complex and interconnected challenges, and proposing clearly articulated, workable solutions.
- Strong interpersonal skills; capable of maintaining a professional approach and demeanor in fast-paced situations and providing support and guidance to other Verra team members.
- Cultural awareness with the ability to work with stakeholders and partners from different countries and cultures.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Fluency in English is essential, and proficiency in other languages would be an advantage.
In this role, you will grow and expand your expertise by...
- Working at the cutting edge of programs designed to drive finance towards high-impact activities that address some of the most pressing environmental issues of our day.
- Gaining exposure to challenges and opportunities faced by practitioners of activities aimed at reducing plastic waste in the environment and greenhouse gas emissions, and improving livelihoods.
- Finding effective ways to ensure the quality of projects and credits under the Verra programs.
- Working with a dynamic, committed, and focused team of professionals.
You will know you are successful if...
- The Plastic Program is recognized as providing the highest level of rigor, integrity, and workability and has a growing impact on mitigating plastic waste in the environment and improving livelihoods.
- Verra stakeholders consistently express positive feedback regarding your ability to collaborate to find workable solutions to challenges they face.
- You are seen as a leader and a go-to resource by your peers, and as a reliable and capable member of the team by your manager.
You will join a team...
- From diverse locations and backgrounds, including carbon market experts, researchers, auditors, and more.
- Committed to driving finance to projects and programs that advance climate action and sustainable development through high-quality standards and programs.
- That embodies the values Verra has established for itself, including Teamwork, Results, Integrity, Balance, and Exploration.
- That is growing rapidly!
Compensation at Verra
To help us attract and retain top talent, we pay employees competitively to
the market. In return, we expect each employee to, at a minimum:
- Meet expectations in terms of work effort and performance;
- Take the initiative to build the skills and knowledge needed to do their job effectively; and
- Embody Verra’s values.
For this position, the salary range is USD $59,108 - $72,207, depending on
We will recognize employees who go beyond expected performance with salary
increases and/or promotions, but the bar for earning those rewards is high.
Salary is one component of Verra’s total compensation package which also
- Health, vision and dental care, and life insurance;
- Verra contributions to each employee’s retirement plan;
- Verra contributions as required by national labor laws in countries where staff are located;
- Paid Time Off (PTO), sabbatical, and other leave allowances; and
- Funds to support professional development.
How to Apply
To apply, please send us the following:
- Cover letter (not to exceed one page)
- Resume/CV (not to exceed two pages)
Please add app.bamboohr.com to your contact list to ensure you receive
emails from us
Verra provides equal opportunity for all job applicants and employees and is
committed to providing a work environment free of discrimination. We conduct
our recruitment and hiring without regard to race, color, religion, gender
identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status,
pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetics, veteran status, or any
other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, and local law.
$59,108 - $72,207 USD