Job Title: Program Officer, Agriculture Innovation
Location: Remote - Worldwide (with significant overlap with Europe and US
Start Date: Immediately
Reports to: Senior Manager, Agriculture Innovation
Verra is a global leader helping to tackle the world’s
most intractable environmental and social challenges. As a mission-driven non-
profit organization, Verra is committed to helping reduce greenhouse gas
emissions, improve livelihoods and protect natural resources across the
private and public sectors. We support climate action and sustainable
development with standards, tools, and programs that credibly, transparently,
and robustly assess environmental and social impacts and enable funding for
sustaining and scaling up projects that verifiably deliver these benefits. We
work in any arena where we see a need for clear standards, a role for market-
based mechanisms, and an opportunity to generate significant environmental and
Verra manages a portfolio of standards, including the:
A day with Verra’s Agriculture Innovation Team might include...
- Responding to an inquiry from an external stakeholder about agricultural methodologies and project development in the VCS Program;
- Working with Program Development & Innovation (PDI) team and Finance team colleagues to finalize a request for proposals (RFP) for an upcoming consultancy and coordinating with Communications team colleagues to advertise the RFP;
- Participating in stakeholder meetings focused on potential new opportunities in the agriculture sector and current barriers to agricultural project development.
- Drafting a press release for the upcoming publication of a new agriculture-related VCS methodology; or
- Coordinating with the Administrator, PDI to pay a consulting invoice.
Specific functions you will be responsible for leading...
- Interacting with external stakeholders via email and in meetings to respond to questions about VCS rules, methodologies, and project development related to agricultural land management (ALM) or livestock management activities. Such stakeholders include project and methodology developers, validation/verification bodies, and credit buyers;
- Providing operational and/or administrative support to Ag Innovation colleagues to implement processes such as public comment periods, webinars, communications, and contracting;
- Working with colleagues to draft revisions to VCS Program rules and procedures relevant to the ALM and livestock sectors to help maintain the robustness, workability, and impact of those programs;
- Supporting the review of concept notes, methodology revisions, and new methodologies, including research and technical reviews;
- Supporting the PDI team on other emerging opportunities.
You bring with you...
At least 2 years of relevant professional experience, preferably in GHG accounting, methodologies, standards, and carbon crediting programs.
A relevant university degree (e.g., agricultural or soil sciences, environmental sciences, biology). A master’s degree would be advantageous.
- Technical background and demonstrated understanding at the intersection of agriculture, climate change, and sustainability science.
- Demonstrated skill using Microsoft Office/Microsoft Teams/SharePoint/OneDrive and Google Workspace.
- Strong attention to detail and project management and organizational skills, including the ability to prioritize and work efficiently and effectively under deadlines.
- Culturally aware with the ability to work with stakeholders and partners from different countries and cultures.
- Self-starter with the ability to excel in a professional environment with limited supervision.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Fluency in English is essential.
In this role, you will grow and expand your expertise by...
- Working at the cutting edge of programs designed to drive finance towards high-impact activities that tackle some of the most pressing environmental issues of our day.
- Working on challenges and opportunities faced by practitioners of activities to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and improve livelihoods.
- Finding effective ways to ensure the quality of projects and credits under Verra programs.
- Working with a dynamic, committed, and focused team of professionals.
You will join a team...
- Of leading experts in the carbon space.
- From diverse locations and backgrounds, including carbon market experts, project developers, consultants, policymakers, researchers, auditors, and more.
- Committed to driving finance at scale to projects and programs that advance climate action and sustainable development through high-quality standards and programs.
- That embodies Verra’s values, which include Teamwork, Results, Integrity, Balance, and Exploration.
Compensation at Verra
To help us attract and retain top talent, Verra pays employees competitively
to the market. In return, we expect each employee to, at a minimum:
- Meet expectations in terms of work effort and performance;
- Take the initiative to build the skills and knowledge needed to do their job effectively; and
- Embody Verra’s values.
For this position, the salary range is USD $54,708 - $60,801, depending on
experience. We will recognize employees who go beyond expected performance
with salary increases and/or promotions, but the bar for earning those rewards
Salary is one component of Verra’s total compensation package, which also
- Health, vision and dental care, and life insurance;
- Verra contributions to each employee’s retirement plan;
- Verra contributions as required by national labor laws in countries where staff are located;
- Paid Time Off (PTO) comprising 22-30 days plus ten floating holidays, sabbatical after five years of service, and other leave allowances; and
- Funds to support professional development.
How to Apply
To apply, please send us the following:
- Cover letter (not to exceed one page)
- Resume/CV (not to exceed two pages)
- At least two references
Please add app.bamboohr.com to your contact list to ensure you receive
emails from us
Verra provides equal opportunity for all job applicants and employees and is
committed to providing a work environment free of discrimination. We conduct
our recruitment and hiring without regard to race, color, religion, gender
identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status,
pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetics, veteran status, or any
other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, and local law.
$54,708 - $60,801 USD