Senior Manager, Investor Engagement, Water
Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization leading the most influential
investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the
economy. Through our powerful networks and advocacy, we tackle the world’s
biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity
and pollution, and human rights abuses.
For more information about Ceres, please visit our website
Description & Responsibilities
Ceres’ Water Program promotes capital market solutions to the global water
crisis by accelerating private sector leadership on sustainable water
management, through cutting-edge research, investor mobilization and advocacy.
Ultimately our work is about changing the way the world’s largest economic
actors value and manage water resources.
The Senior Manager, Investor Engagement position helps lead our work with the
investment community around Ceres’ Valuing Water Initiative and other
strategic investor engagements on water. The Senior Manager will bring
expertise on working with institutional investors on water risk to the
program’s efforts to protect freshwater from corporate practices. The role
will have an emphasis on sectors that create the most severe and systemic
impacts on water resources, to improve the sustainability of their water-
related policies and practices.
This full-time position will report to the Director, Investor Engagement,
Specific duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Support the execution and strategic refinement of a new global investor-led initiative engaging with companies on water risk.
- Organize and help implement investor led engagements (e.g. dialogues and proxy resolutions) with priority companies on water to ensure constructive engagements and dialogues that help drive company progress, including identifying research needs and developing facilitation plans for the engagements.
- Partner with the Director on thought leadership in the development of the business case for ambitious investor and corporate action around water risk, including any updates to team resources such as the Ceres Investor Water Toolkit.
- Engage in relationship building and educational efforts with institutional investors in the Valuing Water Finance Initiative and the Investor Water Hub, as well as other investors interested in water topics.
- Organize and execute internal/external meetings, webinars and workshops related to water risk including overseeing the production of materials.
- Represent Ceres at strategic convenings/events regarding water and ESG integration and disclosure.
- Work with other Ceres teams such as the Investor Network to further investor engagement on water risk issues.
- Contribute to social media, blogging, and work with the Communications and Marketing team to further Ceres’ investor-water priorities.
- Support the Ceres Development Team with content on funding proposals, progress reports, and funder education.
- Participate in Water Team activities such as weekly team meetings, quarterly and annual program reviews, strategy and annual planning meetings.
- Train and oversee staff on the development of team resources such as the Ceres Investor Water Toolkit, water solutions tracker.
- Support the Water Team’s internal impact reporting.
- Supervise interns or co-ops.
- Support efforts to maximize the impacts of our work through a lens of social and racial equity.
- Minimum of seven years of relevant work experience in the sustainability field, ideally with a focus on freshwater and/or relevant environmental field.
- Excellent project management skills and attention to detail.
- Effective meeting facilitation, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Understanding of the various roles, skillsets and activities related to the institutional investor marketplace.
- Deep understanding of the trends in ESG integration and responsible investing.
- Experience in investor engagement and/or shareholder advocacy.
- Understanding of private sector levers of influence.
- Strong relationship management skills.
- Experience using financial data platforms such as Bloomberg.
- Knowledge of water themed investing and solutions.
- Experience supervising staff, including ability to provide onboarding, training, provide feedback, and support for staff professional development.
- Experience cultivating effective supervisory relationships (across diverse gender identity, race, ethnicity, and socio-economic backgrounds) with direct reports.
- Sound judgment, sensitivity to diverse constituencies, excellent interpersonal skills, superior leadership ability, and proven record of strong initiative and motivation.
- Successful record organizing and executing multiple projects under tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience working with the media a plus.
- Interest in being part of a diverse workforce and willingness to support Ceres’ commitment to inclusion and equity.
The hiring salary range for this position is $81,000-$85,000.
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves
with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. Applicants
should submit a resume and cover letter. Please apply through the Ceres
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity, equity, and
inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from people of color, including
bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay,
bisexual, and transgender communities. We do not discriminate in hiring or
employment on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, religion,
marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression,
military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by
Remote (Boston, MA, USA)