Reports to: Director of People
Direct Reports: None
Salary Band: $65,000
Classification: Full Time, Exempt
Location: Washington DC
The Climate Reality Project is a nonprofit organization founded by former US
Vice President Al Gore. Our mission is to catalyze a global solution to the
climate crisis by making urgent action a necessity across every sector of
At The Climate Reality Project, we come to work every day to help solve the
climate crisis. We do it by working from the ground up, empowering people and
communities worldwide to fight for their future and together drive a just
transition to clean energy.
We are committed to building a more just and equitable world, one where all
voices are heard and respected regardless of race, religion, color, national
origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, or physical ability.
Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or
who are members of other historically marginalized communities. We encourage
applicants to read our diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice statement on
Our current policy is a hybrid approach with an option for our staff to come
in at 20% of the time. We are hiring in the DC (DMV) region only.
The People Department is seeking a skilled and experienced Payroll & Benefits
Associate. The Payroll and Benefits Associate administers the activities
relating to the organization’s payroll, benefits and HRIS processing including
developing, implementing, and monitoring (e.g., performing internal audit and
control procedures to ensure that all wages and taxes are accurate). The
individual will be the company’s subject matter expert and will be the first
point of contact with all payroll, benefits, and HRIS administration.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Process payroll for hourly, salaried, and temporary employees; including reviewing and importing hours from time and attendance system, entering tax and direct deposit information, administering regulatory requirements, e.g., garnishments, tax levies, and support orders, and other adjustments to pay as necessary.
- Process and administer leave of absence requests, disability paperwork, they can also interpret FMLA and ADA implications as they relate to those leaves of absences.
- Implement and maintain payroll best practices to improve efficiency and consult with human resources team to improve payroll and HRIS processes.
- Evaluate and implement payroll/HRIS systems upgrades and changes.
- Prepare quarterly tax credit reports and submit to third party vendor.
- Respond to all unemployment claims in a timely manner.
- Coordinates and conducts payroll training for new hires.
- Maintain employee records in payroll/HRIS systems.
- Administer the time and attendance policy and paid leave policy for all employees.
- Produces scheduled and ad-hoc reports pertaining to payroll and human resources requirements.
- Administer all employee benefit programs including enrollments and terminations.
- Manage all 401K contributions and transactions including responding to inquiries from employees regarding plan provisions.
- Coordinates and conducts the new employee benefits onboarding process and presents presentations to ensure employees gain an understanding of benefit plans and enrollment provisions.
- Works with Legal Team to fulfill all governmental regulatory mandates and ensures filings are performed as required.
- Plans and administers annual open enrollment period. This includes preparation (or revision) and distribution of materials, conducting meetings to communicate changes to employees, arranging for on-site representation by providers, and processing changes within deadlines.
- Plans, conducts, and reports results of audits to ensure all enrollments are accurate and that dependent information is correct for each employee and works closely with Finance Team for quarterly and year end audits (payroll, Workers Comp, 401k, etc.)
- Addresses benefit inquiries to ensure timely and accurate resolutions. Maintains contact with employees and beneficiaries to facilitate proper and complete utilization of benefits for all employees.
- Processes monthly billings from providers. Reviews billings for accuracy and approves for payment in a timely manner. Resolves discrepancies with carriers and payroll.
- Coordinate with third party administrator to manage disability claims according to the plan.
- Administers online COBRA enrollments/changes and responds to and manages unemployment claims and workers compensation cases.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong understanding of Human Resources processes and terminology, payroll and benefit processes and procedures, including eligibility, enrollment, and benefit procedures.
- A solid working knowledge of ADP WFN payroll and HRIS system.
- Familiarity with Gusto, Paylocity and Paycom are a plus.
- Must have a high level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations.
- Demonstrates exceptional analytical skills and ability to create useful and actionable reports from data.
- Has shown ability to respond quickly and accurately to requests for data, ability to provide excellent customer service a must.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Possess high-level organization skills and ability to complete multiple tasks and high volume of work on deadline.
- Excellent time management and follow through skills.
- Possess a creative outlook with a problem-solving attitude.
- At least 3 years of experience administering payroll, HRIS and benefits processes required. Work experience should include knowledge of basic human resources, payroll practices, benefits administration, and compliance or other related experience.
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
Excellent benefits, including employer paid 100% employee medical, life,
dental, vision. 401K, Paid Parental Leave and other fringe benefits such as
wellness days, vacation and sick time are all included.
The Climate Reality Project is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not
discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin,
veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, or any other
category prohibited by local, state, or federal law. This policy applies to
all aspects of employment, including recruitment, placement, promotion,
transfer, demotion, compensation, benefits, social and recreational
activities, and termination.
How to Apply
HOW TO APPLY: Send a resume and cover letter to:
email@example.com and put Payroll
and Benefits Associate in the subject line.
Washington, District of Columbia, United States