The Climate Reality Project is a nonprofit organization founded by former US
Vice President Al Gore. Our mission is to catalyze a global solution to the
climate crisis by making urgent action a necessity across every sector of
At The Climate Reality Project, we come to work every day to help solve the
climate crisis. We do it by working from the ground up, empowering people and
communities worldwide to fight for their future and together drive a just
transition to clean energy.
We are committed to building a more just and equitable world, one where all
voices are heard and respected regardless of race, religion, color, national
origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, or physical ability.
Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or
who are members of other historically marginalized communities. We encourage
applicants to read our diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice statement on
The System Administration Associate will work under the direction of the
Salesforce Developer and as a member of the Climate Reality IT/IS team to
provide support, maintenance, and improvement of our databases and systems.
They will be responsible for learning our systems, with a significant portion
of their time focused on Salesforce, to write basic code, fix bugs, and
provide general support. They will also work closely with our advancement,
programs, and communications teams to identify, develop, and deploy new
The salary for the role is $83,580/year.
This is a hybrid position, currently expected to work from Climate Reality’s
downtown DC office at least two days per week.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist IT/IS team and Salesforce Developer to implement IT/IS strategy with programming, coding, software design, and implementation
- Work closely with Salesforce Developer and IT/IS team to plan for upgrades, seasonal releases, and long-term projects
- Monitor program and application functions, identify and resolve issues where appropriate, and escalate as needed to ensure resolution, as well as gather requirements and documentation of lessons learned to implement changes as appropriate
- Support compliance efforts related to data security, data management, and data privacy, and proactively escalate issues identified in any area, program, or system
- Gain and maintain knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies, as well as new Salesforce.com features and functionality to provide recommendations on further process improvements
- Support and contribute to the ongoing improvement of our operations and enrichment of our culture, for example by serving on ad hoc or ongoing work groups, assisting with the onboarding and training of colleagues, and participating in efforts to assess, refine, and strengthen our culture and practices
- Serve as back-up administrator for the Salesforce environment with 100+ users, create new user accounts, train and onboard new users as needed
- Continuously improve their programming skills and learning basic coding as needed to be successful in the role
- Other duties as assigned
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to implement and develop solutions directly from requirements/design documents
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate them when appropriate
- Ability to act with integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software
- Understanding of the SDLC, Software Development Lifecycle, or Related Exposure to Software Solution environments
- Understanding of PMLC – Project Management Lifecycle
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer required
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree—or equivalent experience
- Has at least 2 years of experience
- A documented history of successful project completion
- A demonstrated ability to understand and articulate complex processes.
- Strong interest, ability, and track record of quickly coming up to speed on new technology
- Experience with online platforms and databases, such as the ability to build custom apps and objects, formula fields, flows, custom views, and other content of intermediate complexity preferred
- Strong understanding of Salesforce best practices and functionality preferred
- Experience with the Non-Profit Success Pack (NPSP) preferred
- Lived experience with marginalized communities
The Climate Reality Project has adopted a competency-based approach to job
definition, hiring, performance assessment, and professional development. The
following are our seven organization-wide competencies and examples of how
they manifest for this role.
- Teamwork and Collaboration: Builds and sustains productive working relationships with colleagues; actively listens to others and seeks to understand diverse perspectives; follows through on commitments.
- Flexibility and Adaptability: Demonstrates the ability to adapt to changing priorities and circumstances; takes initiative to solve problems, improve processes, and/or achieve outcomes; learns quickly when faced with new situations or systems.
- Written and Verbal Communication: Written communication is clear and concise; verbal communication is intentional and straightforward; provides timely and helpful information across the organization as needed; gives and receives constructive feedback in a thoughtful manner.
- Time and Project Management: Possesses a strong work ethic i.e., a sense of ownership over tasks, commitment to following things through, and a willingness to do what it takes to get the job done; manages multiple competing priorities, tasks, and projects effectively, appropriately seeking help from others when needed.
- Professional Development: Shows commitment and acts to continuously improve; connects with advocates, experts, mentors, and resources, and actively seeks new ways to grow and be challenged through internal and external training opportunities; accepts assignments that broaden capabilities.
- Climate Justice: Works to understand and achieve anti-racist principles to disrupt the systems of white supremacy, privilege, classism, sexism, and racism; seeks to understand how systemic racism and environmental injustice impact individuals and frontline and fenceline communities; works to promote a welcoming and inclusive environment in Climate Reality spaces (workplace, events, trainings, and other convenings).
- Climate Reality Mission and Focus: Is passionate about Climate Reality’s role and mission and can act as a Climate Reality ambassador to a diverse set of audiences.
In addition to organization-wide competencies, each role has its own
competencies. Below are examples of how each competency manifests in this
- Policies and Procedures: Maintains compliance with federal, state, and local laws and regulations and recommended best practices, as well as Climate Reality organizational policies and procedures.
- Technology Skills and Data Systems: Uses technology and software relevant to job duties effectively (e.g., Microsoft Excel, Salesforce, ADP, GitHub, research software and tools, etc.); manages internal electronic documents effectively, including for the purposes of compliance, hiring, and retention.
- Interpersonal Skills: Practices positive employee relations, including maintaining a positive morale and a genuine, upbeat work environment; coaches employees, supervisors, and managers in effective interpersonal communications and conflict resolution.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people
of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single
qualification. At Climate Reality, we are dedicated to building a diverse,
inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but
your experience does not align perfectly with every qualification in this job
description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right
candidate for this or other roles.
How to Apply
HOW TO APPLY
Please send cover letter and resume to [email protected] The Climate
Reality Project is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on
the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status,
marital status, sexual orientation, disability or any other category
prohibited by local, state or federal law. This policy applies to all aspects
of employment, including recruitment, placement, promotion, transfer,
demotion, compensation, benefits, social and recreational activities and
Excellent benefits, including employer paid 100% employee medical, life,
dental, vision. 401K, Paid Parental Leave and other fringe benefits such as
wellness days, vacation and sick time are all included.
Washington, District of Columbia, United States