BEF brings together partners across all sectors of society to co-create
innovative solutions that address climate challenges primarily by restoring
freshwater ecosystems and by catalyzing a renewable energy future for all.
BEF is an entrepreneurial nonprofit working on environmental solutions at the
intersection of energy, decarbonization and water. Partnerships are key to our
success. We build long-term relationships with businesses , utilities,
community organizations, tribes and philanthropic partners by first
understanding their goals and opportunities and then collaborating toward
solutions that achieve measurable environmental benefits.
Why Join Us? Our Values Are:
Partnership: We believe we can accomplish more by working together.
Adaptability: We evolve, adapt, and apply what we learn to improve our
approaches and outcomes.
Knowledge: We seek out and value diverse perspectives, embrace new ideas, and
advance new approaches.
Innovation: We recognize the scope and pace of the change we need demands
innovation, drawing on knowledge from the past and new information and tools.
Integrity: We are honest with our employees, customers, and our partners. We
seek to deliver outcomes that benefit the environment and the people we serve.
Scope of Position
The Environmental Partnerships Specialist is a business development role with
a deep understanding of evolving Carbon Offset markets. The Environmental
Partnerships Specialist is not only the content expert on carbon markets, but
also seeks new and innovative ways to maximize sales of environmental
commodities, including Renewable Energy Certificates, Carbon Offsets, and
Water Restoration Certificates. This role reports the CFO & VP of Operations
and works alongside BEF’s Director, Environmental Partnerships. Environmental
Partnerships Specialist prioritizes BEF’s expectations for best-in-class
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each
essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are
representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform
the essential duties.
- Act as the content expert on carbon markets, carbon offsets, and emerging industry and carbon technology developments.
- Stay abreast of Carbon Offset, REC and Water Restoration Certificate market trends in relation to verifications, methodologies, registries, certifications, press/public relations, policy, technology advancements, claims and language best practices and GHG accounting via attending conferences, independent research, subscription to relevant newsletters, partnerships with other industry professionals and any other means that are deemed appropriate.
- Represent BEF in public comment periods on new methodologies, certifications and standards updates.
- Cultivate and maintain new client relationships and sales opportunities especially but not limited to responding to RFP’s and web inquiries, independent business development efforts, and cultivating special partnerships through marketplaces, in-kind trades, and certifications such as Climate Neutral, LEED and B-Corp.
- Ensure client loyalty through excellent service, timely communication and follow through.
- Represent the quality and consistency of BEF’s brand to both prospective clients and secured accounts.
- Actively listen to engage clients, identify client needs and goals, provide education, and match the BEF product or service that best meets the client’s needs or goals.
- Proactively contribute to marketing strategies, sales, and product improvements.
- Provide education about and initial, high level guidance on environmental impact calculations to clients including greenhouse gas emissions calculations, energy and water use.
- Travels up to 25% of the time (including overnight, multiple days, and out of state business trips.)
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Demonstrable knowledge of Carbon Offsets, Carbon markets and evolving developments.
- Actively listen to and engage prospects, identify their needs and goals, provide education, and match the BEF product or service that best meets the customer need or goal.
- Understanding of corporate social responsibility (CSR) and sustainability industry trends, industry competitors, sustainability marketing and communications.
- Ability to think strategically and work independently, at times under pressure.
- Excellent client service skills; highly motivated to provide exceptional client service.
- Ability to learn quickly and adapt to a rapidly evolving industry, including the ability to think on your feet and communicate professionally and respectfully.
- Strong communication and presentation skills and ability to articulate the value of a strategic relationship between BEF and its clients.
- Ability to simplify complex topics for decision makers and translate BEF’s unique value proposition customized to multiple industries and individual decision makers.
- Excellent communication, networking and relationship building skills.
- Ability to develop a network and become an influential thought leader among sustainability professionals.
- Ability to perform essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation and without posing a direct threat to safety or health of employee or others.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental policy, environmental sustainability, business, or related field, or relevant experience
- 5 years of experience in environmental commodity markets such as Renewable Energy Credits (RECs) and carbon offsets
- Experience in promoting environmental sustainability and/or CSR solutions to business leaders
- Experience managing multiple priorities and meeting deadlines in a timely and accurate manner
- An equivalent combination of education and/or experience also acceptable
What’s in it for you:
- Salary Range: $90,000-$100,000 per year, depending on experience.
- 100% Employer paid Medical, Short Term and Long-Term Disability, Life insurance for employees; 75% subsidized for family/dependents.
- Retirement plan with 5% employer matching contribution.
- Generous personal time off (PTO) and Vacation Policy including alternative care and self-care leave.
- Four Week paid sabbatical after first 6 years, then every 5 years thereafter
- Opportunity to grow through training and development including a generous paid professional development budget.
- Position is remote with the option for office use at our home office location in Portland, OR.
How to Apply