ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR, PUBLIC BANKS AND DEVELOPMENT, LONDON OR WASHINGTON DC
E3G is an independent think tank working globally to achieve a safe climate for all and is consistently ranked among the world’s most influential environmental think tanks. We have a strong track record over 15 years of delivering innovative diplomatic, policy and institutional changes at national and international levels and we are rapidly growing our international work.
As a recognised global leader in climate diplomacy, geopolitics and international governance we are increasing our capacity to shape the integration of climate change into geopolitical relations and make international governance regimes fit for purpose in a climate changed world.
Role and Responsibilities
We are taking our work on Public Banks and Development to the next level and as a result, we are seeking an experienced development finance practitioner and thought leader to lead our new Public Banks and Development Programme and the supporting team based in the UK, US and across the EU. Key to addressing the climate crisis is the question of how to mobilise finance at scale and pace to support a global transition in all of the world’s countries and this role will deliver a vital contribution towards achieving this.
Reporting to the CEO, you will be an active member of the E3G Senior Management Team, working to ensure E3G has the strategies, systems, capacity and capabilities to deliver its evolving mission. Setting and leading the strategic direction of the Public Banks and Development Team you will draw together, coordinate and amplify expertise and research from across E3G programmes on clean economy, finance and resilience, fossil transition, climate diplomacy, and political economy to support the shaping of public views in key countries on transformative reforms to development finance institutions.
Responsible for producing high-quality thought leadership and ongoing analysis, you will lead and motivate your team in undertaking analysis, developing practical policy and institutional proposals on multiple issues related to Public Banks and Development. You will use your connections and expertise to ensure E3G is a regular advisor to governments and international institutions on political analysis, strategy and diplomatic priorities.
You will manage all activities within your programme portfolio and provide support and guidance to deliver these to the required quality-time-cost standards for E3G and our funders. You will be based in either our London or Washington DC offices, although other locations may be considered for exceptional candidates.
Experience and qualifications
– Have 10-15 years of experience working on issues related to public banks
and/or development and/or UNFCCC finance issues; covering leadership,
analytical and management roles. Experience of climate issues is an advantage
but not a requirement.
– Demonstrate a solid grasp of global geopolitical trends, dynamics and developments and have a good understanding of how international institutions work and evolve. Ideally, you have been directly involved in major multilateral diplomatic processes at a high level.
– Demonstrate a significant track record of achievements, thought leadership and problem-solving including experience in building consensus inside and between organisations around sensitive issues, creating and facilitating dialogue and agreement.
– Operate confidently at high and “expert” level, in the worlds of government, business, the media and civil society.
– With experience of major complex projects, you can demonstrate how you have successfully built and managed teams, delivered collective outputs and managed budgets. Experience of managing multi-national teams across different locations would be a distinct advantage.
– Experience of fundraising from philanthropic and/or government sources would be an advantage.
– You will be used to operating internationally, with a high degree of cultural sensitivity and possessing strong personal networks at an international level would be an advantage.
– You will possess and be able to demonstrate your passion for innovation and entrepreneurship.
– Be an inspirational leader capable of motivating and facilitating teams.
– Have strong written and spoken English. Good knowledge of at least one other language would be an advantage.
E3G offers flexible working arrangements and operates a hybrid-based working approach. We require candidates to demonstrate that they have the right to live and work in the jurisdiction in which E3G employs them, unfortunately, E3G is unable to provide relocation assistance or visa support.
Salary – up to £100,000 (more may be available for an exceptional candidate). Benefits include 25 days of vacation annually plus additional leave between Christmas and New Year, travel and hospitalisation insurance and pension contributions.
Please submit your application in English and include:
– A CV of a maximum of two pages;
– A cover letter of maximum one page outlining your motivation for applying
The deadline for applications is November 20, 2023.
Due to the volume of responses we receive we will not be able to reply to every applicant. Therefore, unfortunately, if you have not heard from us within 2 weeks of the closing date, please assume that you have not been shortlisted on this occasion.
E3G values diversity and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified candidates regardless of age, gender, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion or ethnic background. We aim to build an inclusive workforce that is reflective of the populations we support, and actively seek applications from those who are marginalized and underrepresented. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities.
To apply for the role of our Associate Director, please select the button shown. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Washington, District of Columbia, United States